The Great Saint James
Saint James in Compostela,
Northern Cebu
Just recently I just found out that my ancestors were King St. Ferdinand III of Castile (he is a patron saint of Liloan, Cebu) and Emperor Alexios I Comnenos through my maternal Spanish ancestry. I know that I am related to Charlemagne and Lapu-Lapu through my ancestry coming from Spain and Mactan as well as that of Carlist during the Third Carlist War. According to research, the European monarchs have many descendants including many non royals because they entered the local nobility and then to the low class.
I remember when my dad would stop at Compostela to fix a property dispute, he would always stop me and my mom at the parish church of Compostela, dedicated to Saint James. The church was dedicated in 1863 around the same time as the American Civil War was going on.
Eventually, I fell in love with the shrine, especially the shrine was dedicated to the Christianizer of Spain, St. James, and he can also be the mystical Christianizer of the Philippines because Spain Christianized Philippines and Mexico. I visited the shrine occasionally when my dad will visit Compostela, and I ate at a local restaurant near the church.
Who was Saint James?
Saint James was the son of Zebedee and brother of St. John the Evangelist and was one of the 12 apostles of Christ. He was the first martyred Apostle and was killed in 44 AD. He evangelized what is now Spain before he was killed.
He is famous for the Santiago de Compostela, in Galicia Spain where pilgrims walk a long route to atone for their sins.
He was also invoked during the Spanish Reconquista as a battle cry against the Mohammedans. There is an image of him on horseback slaying Moors. He was also invoked by the Spanish conquerors of Mexico and Philippines as well as the old battle cry of Reconquista was adopted during the Spanish Moro conflict during our colonial era.
I also use Saint James as an inspiration for me in my own crusade, fighting both the world, flesh and devil through Spiritual warfare with St. Michael.
While the people are focused on the bad impeachment of our vice president, and our youth are into the mental health crisis, I feel as a youth myself, it seems that I am not affected by it, because of our faith in God.
